Monday, October 11, 2010

Melbourne International Arts Festival

I'm going to confess that posting may be slim pickings this week, as I am DJing at Melbourne International Arts Festival for two nights this week (yep, I'm making myself sound more important than I am - I'm part of the afterparty not the main event!) although I will try my damndest to write something vaguely interesting. Promise. I will.

But here's some highlights from the Festival that you should check out, even if you aren't in Melbourne, it's like, international arts, so look out for some of these cats when they visit your hometown:
Michael Clark Company - Come, been and gone

"Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll! In the hands of the man described by The UK Independent as “one of the most exciting, even revolutionary, forces in British dance”, contemporary dance has never looked so good"

Hotel Pro-forma - Tomorrow, In a Year
"Hotel Pro Forma’s striking imagery blends with Scandinavian electro-pop masters
The Knife’s groundbreaking music to create a new species of electro dance opera"
Personally one I'm really looking forward too, sure to be an aural and visual feast.


Hiroaki Umeda - Adapting for Distortion & Haptic

"Digital sounds, neon-coloured lighting and minimalist movement combine to create a technologically-charged world controlled by Japanese performer Hiroaki Umeda"

Another one me myself am a a tad excited for, you can't go wrong with a bit of Japanese futurist dance. I'm a bit of a dance freak.

Seven Songs to Leave Behind - Closing Night
"Join Sinead O’Connor, John Cale, Meshell Ndegeocello, Rickie Lee Jones, Gurrumul Yunupingu, The Black Arm Band’s Leah Flanagan, Shellie Morris, Dan Sultan and Ursula Yovich and special guest Archie Roach to farewell the Festival with the international musical collaboration of the year" 

For me this is all about Meshell Ndegeocello, total legend. 

And if you want the afterparty (of course!), I'll be DJing there on the closing night. Seventh Heaven at the Arts Centre. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment